Last night, the night of the elections in the U.S., Karagöz stayed up late with M. to see if Green Party candidate Jill Stein would win, shrugged his shoulders & did some “cheer up” somersaults when she didn’t.
I was exhausted from physical therapy and a painful time after grading, not to mention the anxiety of watching the electoral vote tally. So, off to bed early with a late night whisper of great news from M. that I thought was a dream until early morning insomnia revealed the truth of an out LGBT senator, a “binder of women” heading to DC – including both the first Asian-American and practicing Hindu women elected to the Senate ever – dubbed by some a “Fox News Nightmare”. And so much more good news as well. I wish all in our country saw it this way – and I wish that the presidential race had not broken down on embarrassing racial lines, but all in all I’m thrilled and most of the puppets are as well.
Walking the mile to my doc’s appointment today, the puppets were all a-flutter as I listened to the morning-after, sleep-deprived political pundits on my iPhone as the snow began to swirl. Stopping their a-flutterness upon spotting some of their kind, namely, puppets, they stopped for a good chat with the Mexican Dia de Los Muertos puppets who were celebrating in a store window – and who educated my Karagöz puppets about the venerable late Senator Kennedy as well. You can see one of those Mexican puppets dressed up like Senator Ted Kennedy – as well as a couple of puppets dressed up like Mr. and Mrs. O. dancing on their inauguration night.
After battling with doctors, it was a tiring day and despite a good larger reality in the U.S. tonight, I have a sore right hand, so I’m stopping. The puppets nod their approval, even Karagöz.
- Día de Los Muertos! (storybookapothecary.com)
- The Kennedys are back in Congress (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Kennedy Win Sends Bay State Political Scion to Congress (bloomberg.com)
- When Play Gets Political: Puppets Protest At The U.S. Capitol (mentalflowers.wordpress.com)
- Warren Beats Brown: CBS Projects Winner In Mass. Senate Race (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Puppets Pissed at Romney for Threatening to Kill Big Bird; March on Washington (alternet.org)